Friday, June 4, 2010

Some Day I'll go to Jazz in the Sculpture Garden

I haven't yet attended jazz in the Sculpture Garden- a free event every Friday starting Memorial Day weekend and running through the summer.  But I hope to get a change to go this summer. The trouble so far this season is the thunderstorms.  I have faith that the humidity will stick around till 8:00pm some Friday and I'll sit in a blanket and listen to jazz.
Yesterday I wandered around the Sculpture Garden.  I'd seen most of the sculptures before but it's a lovely walk around a sandy, dirty path.  There was an incredible and whimsical sculpture of a tree made of stainless steel and concrete by Roxy Pain that kept my full attention- it looked like a real trees, irregular bumps and all.  I also liked the humongous typewriter eraser by Claes Olderburg and Cooseje Can Bruggen.  I imagine graduate students used to dream of something like it running them down as they approached their thesis deadline.  There were multiple groups of students enjoying lunch, sitting on the oversized granite chairs and fighting to find a place in the shade.
After checking out the sculptures, I took a seat on one of the many benches surrounding the fountain in the middle of the garden and watched the tourists, happy that I didn't have 5 more museums and a tour of the Capital on my itinerary for the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment