Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Retreat is not Defeat

I started back up with Rosetta Stone yesterday after a 7 month hiatus.  There was no one reason for my retreat- I got a job that required more mental energy, started having company for dinner more often, and suddenly had TV with cable.  But I do want to learn Spanish and so I returned to Rosetta Stone.  It's fun.  You wear a headset with a little microphone and when you say something right you are rewarded with a "Ba-Ba-Baba-Ba."  When you get it wrong you get a "Buh-buh" (similar to the sound of the Blue Line).  So you can now imagine me in my empty apartment mid-day talking to my computer in painfully accented Spanish.  "La nina lee."
The judge who determines whether my pronunciation passes muster seems a bit unreliable. He/She or the Panel allows me to get away with saying "periodico" and then "buh-buhs" me over and over when I try to say "hola."  In response, I try different voices and paces to try to win the judges over so that I can move onto the grammar exercise.
I hope to stick with Rosetta Stone and keep getting slowly better at Spanish.  I'll keep you posted.  Adios!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment