Sunday, June 6, 2010

I Stayed Through the Closing Credits

I went to see Exit Through the Gift Shop at my favorite movie theater (which I can easily run/walk to in 45 minutes sporting a great backpack from mine brother).  It was just great.  I'm not sure at what point the joke was on me, but I didn't care- the one liners from the characters are worth the price of admission.  I also liked the footage of street artists in action.  The conceit of the film is that a crazy Frenchman named Thierry Guetta starts filming street artists (his cousin introduces him to the scene) and Thierry himself ends up putting on his own show "Life is Beautiful."  It's a Banksy film and Bansky does appear hooded and with his voice disguised.  It's unclear whether any part of the film is actual documentary or if it's all performance art with each moviegoer playing the role of the art collector duped into paying $70,000 for a silkscreen (or at least $10 for a ticket).  I hope that the first half of the film is real and that the joke isn't entirely on Thierry, who looks like Ron Jeremy with muttonchops and endless enthusiasm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment